Tooling Engineer - Staffing, Inc.
Location: Holland, MI
Compensation: Hourly at $30.00-$35.00/hr
The Tooling Development-Improvement Engineer is responsible to for all new tooling development as well as existing tooling improvement. The Tooling Development-Improvement Engineer’s responsibility is to help implement new systems (equipment and process related) and improve existing tooling systems. The Tooling Development-Improvement Engineer’s responsibilities impact the organizations ability to meet its objectives especially regarding on-time delivery and quality.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Prepare all new tooling jobs for the press before development begins. Check tooling for accuracy, fit tooling together, finish radii and fingers.
2. Work with assigned press groups to move development along as quickly and efficiently as possible.
3. Stay with job through PPAP run making sure all aspects of the tool are complete and Production Ready.
4. Develop Safe Launch plan for all new tooling. Determine the number of parts to run that will prove tools are ready for production.
5. Facilitate post PPAP tooling review and work with Engineering to make any needed tooling updates and improvements.
1. Review current and past run logs as well as interview designated press group leader. Make list of common/nagging issues or receive already compiled list of issues from Engineering Manager.
2. Develop plan for possible tooling changes. Review plans with toolmaker and production manager for best practice and collaboration.
3. Make any needed design changes or work through engineering to get changes complete and order or build any needed tooling.
4. During the next production run, be present at set up to assist with any challenges and verify improvement is complete. Stay engaged as long as needed to validate.
1. Review current SPM on assigned jobs and determine if speed can be increased.
2. Discuss Toolmakers concerns/experiences is any of running press faster.
3. Increase speeds incrementally, be available to fix all issues that arise as speed is increased.
4. Review findings and best practices with Toolmaker and Production Manager.
5. Document new required speed with Production manager to ensure gains are maintained.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
A high school diploma is required as minimum education for this position. Certification to an accredited tool and die apprenticeship/journeyman program or pursuit of certification is desired. Introductory training in the use of the computer (Windows based operating system) and some specific design software training is necessary.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
A minimum of 10 years of experience in Deep Draw and Progressive Die Tooling Development/Improvement position in a similar manufacturing setting is required. The ability to run basic tool room equipment and operate stamping presses is required. The ability to utilize the computer to assist in design and development of equipment or processes is preferred. The ability to effectively communicate and lead others is required.
Work environment involves low risks or discomforts which would require special safety precautions. Normal safety precautions and protective safety equipment (ie. safety glasses and hearing protection) required when present in the manufacturing areas. Normal work week consists of 45 hrs. However, when developing new jobs, timelines are often short and working extra hours to meet customer deadlines is required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those required for an incumbent to successfully perform the essential duties of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
• Ability to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear. Must be able to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Start as Soon as Possible
- Start Date: 04/07/2017
- Phone: (616) 451-8955
Job Number: 231656